Thursday, May 14, 2009

Heading to Richmond



Hello after some silence. My bags are stacked, my fridge is full, thirst insatiable, plane ticket printed, chapbooks packed, just finished teaching, on my way out, my stomach is growling, feeling full.


Busy little bee these days. The weather is fickle while I remain steadfast. Steadfast revising the hell out of this mug. Fiction has been a slow grind--sweet and satisfying. Poems pour out of me instead of sweat but I still wipe my brow out of habit. Feeling like a groundhog, creeping out the cave. Website in the process of getting seriously revamped. Sweet gig at Prospect Park Bandshell coming up. My fashion sense is evolving. I'm starting to like photoshoots finally. As my friend Moon would say, I carry myself like a loved woman. I feel loved by the people I love. And the hair is just growing.


I'm excited to be touring the US this summer with old and new poems. It's been years since I've hit the road the way I'm about to. My work has transformed beneath my fingertips and after I stopped saying what the fuck I have fallen back in love with my writing. This has been huge benefit to my spirit. For years I criticized myself so much with voices unlike my own. I've swept that many headed voice from my head with the wind itself. All of that pain has enhanced me so lovely. Feels good to be at this place where I feel comfortable sharing what I'm writing with peeps old and new. I know what I am doing now, and that understanding was all I needed. So on the road I go. It had to start in a place i can actually order sweet tea at a resteraunt. So I head to Richmond tonight to hang with sister Lorna and feature at a couple spots.


Friday May 15: Richmond, VA
Samantha features at Lyric Ave
Byrd Theatre
2908 W. Cary St
Richmond, VA
show starts 8:30


Saturday May 16: Richmond, VA
Samantha features at Richmond SlamArtspace
Zero E. 4th Street
Richmond, VA 23224
workshop starts at 5pm


This summer my desire is to travel to these cities. Any leads to poetry venues in these areas, or anywhere in general, would be very helpful to me.


San Francisco/Bay Area

Chicago/Milwaukee

Atlanta

New Orleans/Baton Rouge

DC/Baltimore

Seattle



Much Love and I will let you know how Richmond goes.


Currently reading:The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time IndianBy Sherman Alexie

No comments: