Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Memory

Walking with Amina

Baraka in the blueback

cold. She tugs

a cigarette from the open

mouth of her purse

and lights it.

She mentions she didn't

sip a cigarette until

she was quite thirty,

never stopped.

I am amazed.

I am 26, have never

sucked that slim death

and pride myself

out of the woods.

Why did you start?

She points

to Amiri, shuffling

a few yards ahead

of us, fumbling

for his own pack,

and answers.

That mother

fucker right there.

1 comment:

arinmaya said...

Why is this the first time in history I'm viewing your blog?
Because I'm a loser--that's why.
I'm loving reading about South Africa, and I love this piece. I could stand to take a class of yours in poetry.
Mostly, I love that I didn't know how old you were all this time. You're like, amazing.

Keep shining,
Arin